[Xastir] OSM maps: .geo files, local rendering?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:37:17 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the OSM map _data_ is all you need, and you don't require the
> "prettiness" of the OSM rendering

"Prettiness" isn't an issue, but I think there could be a usability
difference when using the maps mobile.  The xastir rendering of
shapefiles (I'm using TIGER data now) results in a map that's a bit
hard to read for navigational purposes.

I plan to use tangoGPS for a few days in the truck just to test that
theory and see if i'm wasting time.  In terms of functionality,
reliability, resource utilization, etc, xastir+shapefiles set a very
high standard.  Maybe that's why I gave up on navit so quickly. :)

-Jason
kg4wsv