[Xastir] 2 Small problems

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:02:50 EDT 2011

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Jacob Tennant wrote:

> Ok, what does the XXX stand for?

A variable.  You need to look in your devices directory or a resource manager program to derive the correct syntax for each USB->Serial cable's port.  It will most likely change based on how many and which order cables were plugged in, and maybe the specific manufacturers and/or serial numbers of your USB->Serial cables.

> I understand in linux tho devise is ttyUSB0.

Depends.  I ran _one_ USB->Serial cable on Linux at home for a while.  It would sometimes appear as /dev/ttyUSB0, sometimes as /dev/ttyUSB1.  I had to either define two interfaces in Xastir and start up the correct one, or keep editing one interface to switch back and forth.  A royal pain.  I eventually went to a 4-port serial card and stopped using the USB->Serial cable.

The usual way I determine the naming in Linux:  Plug in a USB->Serial cable or a USB thumbdrive, then "tail -50 /var/log/messages" to see what syslog reports the new name as.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/