[Xastir] GNIS data

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 30 23:21:50 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 07:25:28PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> Ok, I upgraded Xastir on another machine just this afternoon.  Previously I was running 1.9.3 and have a bunch of GNIS data files with population centers.  They worked fine on the previous Xastir but do not work on the CVS version.
>
> I get this error when the map redraws:

> So what have I managed to break in this process?
>
> During configure, the recommended libraries/features are all installed and the advanced features (GDAL, Festvial, etc.) are not.

Some time ago, the GNIS format changed. Xastir was updated to use the new
format, and the old files (which were actually better) stopped working.  After
a little adjustment, support for the old format was put back in, but you have
to rename all your old gnis files to have the ".pop" suffix instead of ".gnis".
That'll get you up and running.

That change happened somewhere around Xastir version 1.9.5, back in 2009.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."