[Xastir] Pan & zoom buttons

Steve Huston huston at srhuston.net
Thu Aug 4 10:58:27 EDT 2011

I've finally got back on the air after a three year hiatus or so, and
setup my APRS station again but running on the server in the basement
instead of a desktop that is on all the time.  The down side is that I
want to be able to "open" xastir whenever, and see what's been going on
as well as keep digipeating (when I set it up again) even when I'm not
connected to it.

After a bit of searching, I found 'xpra', which is pretty good - it has
some hitches here and there, but for the most part it lets me detach an
X11 program and reattach it somewhere else later.  I can keep xastir
running on my headless server and view it when I turn my desktop on (or
connect from somewhere else).

One problem that's happened a couple times now is that the pan and zoom
buttons on the top of the screen get greyed out and no longer work.  I
can still use the mouse menu to do either, but don't know why they were
disabled or how to enable them again.

Any hints?  Also, anyone else doing something similar with any other
(maybe better) tools?  I looked at 'nx' but documentation seemed a bit
too sparse for my liking - ie, in a half hour I still couldn't figure
out what to do, so I went back to xpra :>

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285