[Xastir] Pan & zoom buttons

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 4 11:11:07 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 10:58:27AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <huston at srhuston.net> flavor, containing:
> I've finally got back on the air after a three year hiatus or so, and
> setup my APRS station again but running on the server in the basement
> instead of a desktop that is on all the time.  The down side is that I
> want to be able to "open" xastir whenever, and see what's been going on
> as well as keep digipeating (when I set it up again) even when I'm not
> connected to it.

[...]
> Any hints?  Also, anyone else doing something similar with any other
> (maybe better) tools?  I looked at 'nx' but documentation seemed a bit
> too sparse for my liking - ie, in a half hour I still couldn't figure
> out what to do, so I went back to xpra :>

Have you thought about VNC?  I use it all the time for this kind of stuff.
It also uses a virtual frame buffer the way xpra does, and has some down sides,
but I've never seen it behave the way you describe.

On my headless SheevaPlug I can run vncserver, connect to it remotely using
a VNC client, fire up any X program I like, then close the client.  The
programs run Just Fine, and don't know they're not actually displaying anywhere.
Reconnecting can be done any time, the presence or absence of a connected
client doesn't matter to the programs that are running.

Which thing to install on your machines is another question.  tightvnc is
the one I have installed on my BSD box.  This provides the "vncserver" and
"vncviewer" applications.  On the headless SheevaPlug (which is an old
distro of Ubuntu for the ARM) the package to install is "tightvncserver."

I also have a package called x11vnc which allows VNC access to a running
X11 server --- I use this to access my home desktop machine from my laptop on
travel, or from work.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey