[Xastir] Need help with Xastir configuration Unsupported packet

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 23 21:00:26 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:21:57PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <satvader at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:

> > Something is quite wrong with your set-up, as you're transmitting D700 (or
> > D7, or other Kenwood) commands (TC and GU).  These should never be getting
> > transmitted, they're supposed to be intercepted by the TNC and acted upon, and
> > they should only be getting sent to the TNC once, when sent as part of the
> > start-up or shut-down sequences.
> >
> > What sort of TNC are you using?  What type of interface do you have
> > defined in Xastir?  What tnc start-up file are you using?
> >
> Yes you come up right I'm using an Alinco dr-135 with built in TNCI did some search on the internet and find that a lot of Xastir users whereusing tnc-startup.d700 and tnc-stop.d700 for that radio,

No, that shouldn't be.  The D700 start-up file goes to some lengths to
manipulate the D700 so it doesn't get stuck in the "OPENING TNC" stage, which
is due to a bug in the D700.  It sends commands to disable GPS, then starts
the D700 in "Packet" mode, then turns on GPS.  On shut-down, it turns off
GPS again, switches back to APRS mode (i.e. "display APRS data on the front
panel") and turns the GPS on again.

None of those commands are appropriate for the DR-135.

You can copy the D700 start-up file and comment out all that stuff as a
DR-135 start-up file, but using the D700 file is not the right approach because
of that extra cruft.

On the other hand, once it does start up and after the small number of
"Unrecognized Packet" errors, it should behave.  So if you're not getting
to the APRS-IS, then the problem may be that you are not getting gated
after those few bad packets.  You'd have to check all your raw packets on
aprs.fi or findu.com to see what's actually making it to the APRS-IS.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey