[Xastir] What does xastir do?

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sat Dec 24 13:48:42 EST 2011

> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:04:12AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<ldeffenb at homeside.to>  flavor, containing:
>> On 12/24/2011 10:28 AM, Tom Russo wrote:
>>> The only way to get Xastir to gate posits from an APRS-IS station is
>>> to list it in "nws-stations.txt"
>> And if you do that, are there any configurable limits on how many
>> packets said-configured stations can pump through to the RF?
> No.  If you add a station to nws-stations.txt, you gate that station's
> packets.  No configuration options at all.  It is intended (as implied by
> the name) to allow an igate to gate NWS alerts.
>
> One limits packets gated by one's station by limiting the stations one
> gates in this manner to those that need to have their packets gated, and
> that behave themselves.  A normal igate station should have very few such
> stations listed.

Excellent information, Tom.  Thanks for the follow thru question, Lynn.
It's good info to know, if making an igate in xastir to be both RF -> IS
and IS -> RF.  But, at the same time *buyer beware* if one 'twists' the
intended use of an extension (nws-stations.txt) to get around a
perceived limitation.  I recently switched my igate from a RX-only to a
full igate, when the subject came up on the aprs-sig reflector.

Thanks,  73 - Dale.  KG5LT