[Xastir] Festival issue Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit options greyed out

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:59:55 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Chris <kc2rgw at gmail.com> wrote:
> System is Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit.
> Xastir is the 2.0.0 version that ships with Ubuntu from the repo
> Festival is installed.
> festival --server &    is running and working, running as the same
> user as xastir is.
> telnet to the localhost festival port works and it speaks
> The configure -> speech dialog "Test" button works and speaks
>
> The issue is that all the option boxes are greyed out and nothing is
> sent to festival it seems.
>
> Is this a known issue?

In Xastir, when you click "Help - About", is Festival listed as one of
the supported libraries?  If not, it means that build of Xastir was
not compiled with Festival support.

The version of Xastir that is in the Ubuntu repository was built by an
Ubuntu package manager - not by an Xastir developer, so if the person
who built it decided not to compile in support for Festival, it won't
be there.

I built a binary package for Xastir 2.01 in Oct 2011, but I just
checked, and I did not compile in Festival support.  Festival and GDAL
are the two items I usually don't bother with when I build Xastir from
source code, so I suspect the Ubuntu package manager did something
similar.

You can build Xastir from source yourself via the HowTo at the link
below, and the build script that automates the process does include
Festival support.

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_11.10,_11.04_or_10.10

Pay special attention to the section that says "if you already
installed the binary version" - because the "binary version" in this
case is the version 2.00 that you installed from the repository.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT