[Xastir] Festival issue Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit options greyed out

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:04:34 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Chris <kc2rgw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> System is Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit.
>> Xastir is the 2.0.0 version that ships with Ubuntu from the repo
>> Festival is installed.
>> festival --server &    is running and working, running as the same
>> user as xastir is.
>> telnet to the localhost festival port works and it speaks
>> The configure -> speech dialog "Test" button works and speaks
>>
>> The issue is that all the option boxes are greyed out and nothing is
>> sent to festival it seems.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>
> In Xastir, when you click "Help - About", is Festival listed as one of
> the supported libraries?  If not, it means that build of Xastir was
> not compiled with Festival support.

It is not listed there, no.  But how would the 'test' button be
working?  It plays "Greetings from Xastir" when I hit it...odd.

> The version of Xastir that is in the Ubuntu repository was built by an
> Ubuntu package manager - not by an Xastir developer, so if the person
> who built it decided not to compile in support for Festival, it won't
> be there.

Yeah...I guess I'll build my own.  Heh, one of my pet peeves, if the
distro has all core libs needed, the package *should* by common sense,
be built with every available feature.  For the most part most
maintainers do this, but indeed many will skip things.

Thanks for the replies.

--
73  de Chris -- KC2RGW
KC2RGW at W2LI.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM