[Xastir] SVN info (not needed or even useful yet for the Xastir project)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:39:07 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Chip G. wrote:

> Thanks for this update (and the one that followed. I know understand more fully what was being discussed earlier. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a future update with methods for upgrading/converting as necessary. I use my own script (which I've shared before) and will need it's own tweaking. I also use crontab to nightly check the repository for updates (using "cvs -n update"), so I'd like to learn about similar SVN functions (or GIT) when the time comes (if it comes).

"svn st" will check your repository against the checked-out version of SVN.  I believe that works even if you don't have network connectivity 'cuz SVN keeps a pristine copy of the version you checked out, hidden away.

"svn st -u" will do a status check against the HEAD revision (latest) in the repository.  You need network connectivity to do this one.

I use SVN daily.  Been using it all day today in fact on four different projects.

     svn st
     svn stat
     svn status

are all equivalent commands.

     svn -?

will show you all of the possible commands, then something like:

     svn add -?

will show you all of the options for the "svn add" command.

Google "svn redbook" for a book about SVN that gives you a lot of good information.