[Xastir] Unable to open GeoTiff.

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:21:22 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:32:01PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, jd at jdwallace.com wrote:
> >
> > > I've built Xastir 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 using the install steps from
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.10.
> > >
> > > So far the only offline maps I've been able to display are Green Trails
> maps that were converted from Ozi to .geo. I would really like to use the
> DRG maps from http://rocky.ess.washington.edu/data/raster/drg/index.htmlbut I am having no luck.
> > >
> > > Should these maps work? Is any processing required to get them into a
> usable format?
> >
> > As long as they are the raw USGS DRG's, and not the MrSID-compressed
> versions, you should be fine.  You'll need the .tif and the .fgd files only.
> >
> > For this you'll need tif, geotiff, and proj4 libraries, installed in the
> proper order (geotiff must be built with proj4 support).
> >
> > I don't know if the Ubuntu instructions give you a working geotiff
> installation.  I'm using OpenSuSE.  Check the "INSTALL" file that comes with
> Xastir for more details on the library installs for geotiff.
>
> Yes, the Ubuntu wiki instructions give working GeoTIFF, as well as properly
> built proj.4 libraries (because the official debian and ubuntu repositories
> continue to provide a broken one).
>
> Is the proj.4 package still broken?  Below is a repeat of the little test
that was sent in the original message to the list that reported the problem
in Lubuntu 10.10:

lee at lubuntu:~$ cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=latlong
+datum=NAD27

Give it the following input:

106d38'17.94"W 35d15'40.14"N

With the above input, I get the following output:

106d38'15.843"W    35d15'39.993"N -0.000

 I thought the broken version resulted in the same coordinates in the output
that were in the input.  This one appears to be correct, and it was
installed directly from the Ubuntu repositories.  Also, fyi, I got the same
results in Ubuntu 10.04 using the standard Ubuntu proj package.

Thanks,

Lee - K5DAT