[Xastir] Unable to open GeoTiff.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Feb 23 21:43:34 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 08:21:22PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, the Ubuntu wiki instructions give working GeoTIFF, as well as properly
> > built proj.4 libraries (because the official debian and ubuntu repositories
> > continue to provide a broken one).
> >
> > Is the proj.4 package still broken?  Below is a repeat of the little test
> that was sent in the original message to the list that reported the problem
> in Lubuntu 10.10:
>
> lee at lubuntu:~$ cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=latlong
> +datum=NAD27
>
> Give it the following input:
>
> 106d38'17.94"W 35d15'40.14"N
>
> With the above input, I get the following output:
>
> 106d38'15.843"W    35d15'39.993"N -0.000
>
>  I thought the broken version resulted in the same coordinates in the output
> that were in the input.  This one appears to be correct, and it was
> installed directly from the Ubuntu repositories.  Also, fyi, I got the same
> results in Ubuntu 10.04 using the standard Ubuntu proj package.

I stand corrected.  It had remained broken for so many releases that I simply
concluded that nobody was maintaining it.

I always side-step the issue by using the ubuntugis repositories, because it
is maintained by people who use GIS and rely on it to be correct.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."