[Xastir] Ubuntu-cvsbuild script updated for 10.10

Peter Gamache/KC0TFB peter+aprs at duonet.net
Tue Jan 4 10:04:46 EST 2011

It looks like considerable excitement has occurred in the evening I spent
away from my email...

David, would you care to share your logs so I may understand what
happened?  The logs of interest are in /var/log/apt.  I'd like to see both
history.log and term.log for the period in which you ran the cvsbuild
script.

The script simply doesn't contain any instructions for apt to
remove/purge/delete anything, so if something got deleted, it may have
been a pending change to your system that was already queued for dpkg to
act upon - something that it would do when any subsequent action was
performed with apt-get (like an ordinary update/upgrade cycle).  Did you
have any previous installations, removals or upgrades that had only
partially completed, prior to running the script?  Did you regularly keep
your system updated with "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade", prior
to running the script?

Also, these development libraries you speak of ... were they installed in
/usr/lib, /var/lib, or somewhere else?  It's possible, if you named
something the same as one of the libraries to be installed, or if you
installed the source of a standard package, then modified it and installed
it where the default library lives, that it would be overwritten by any
future updates.  The dpkg/apt system provides a way to freeze packages,
preventing the normal update/upgrade cycle from pulling down new ones - if
you modify a standard library, it's important to flag the package(s) so
they don't get overwritten by subsequent officially-maintained versions.

Thanks,
-PG