[Xastir] Ubuntu-cvsbuild script updated for 10.10

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:56:44 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 14:00, David A Aitcheson
<david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is good!  I find apt-get to be more versatile and understandable in
> the gnome environment... now the KDE environment is a totally different
> animal and that is where Aptitude is better suited.

[Off topic]

I'm not sure what you mean by apt-get being more versatile than
aptitude, or better suited to any particularly desktop environment.
Both are command line tools. Both install packages with dpkg. They
both install software exactly the same way.

The difference is that aptitude keeps track of which packages were
installed as dependencies. You won't notice this until you go to
uninstall a package. When you uninstall a package with aptitude, it
will also uninstall that package's dependencies as long as they are
not needed for any other packages. This is different than
apt-get--apt-get will leave orphaned packages that were dependencies
of old uninstalled packages.

Here is a write-up explaining the difference:
http://pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/

Before you first use aptitude, you have to tell it that all of the
packages you previously installed with apt-get are not orphaned, and
you indeed want to keep them:

# aptitude keep-all

Tom KD7LXL