[Xastir] Xastir on Mac . . . download, unzip, store maps

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Thu Jan 6 11:45:19 EST 2011

Not having a lot of luck here, probably because I don't' understand Unix

I would like to download some maps

an example is

wisconsin.osm.bz2

found here

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america/united_states/wisconsin#downloads_breadcrumbs

i used my regular gui to download it to my home directory

then used x11 to move it to the /usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory

tried to unzip it, but got an error message, which i guess makes sense
as it's not a .zip file

1) am i even remotely close to doing this correctly?

2) this seemed like the map i would most likely want - does anyone
have any idea if it would be a good map to use for navigating around
wisconsin or would the wisconsinshapefiels.zip be a better choice. I
will be perusing the site to try and find info about the different
maps. there is quite a difference in file size.

tnx
73
tom