[Xastir] New User

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:12:29 EST 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Hank Lambert wrote:

> On Xastir, all of my maps
> are line drawings. I have tried to download some online maps on
> /Online/teraserver.geo and /Online/USRadar.geo as well as others. All of the
> maps are either line drawings or no maps at all.

What version of Xastir is it?  Check the Help->About dialog.

If it's 2.0.0 or 2.0.1, or one of the 1.9.9 CVS versions, you should have "Online/OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo" and similar OSM maps listed.  If you don't have OSM maps listed, you've got a version which was set up to use the Tigermap server for online maps.  The Tigermap server doesn't exist anymore.

If you need offline maps, you can do a Google search for "cloudmade shapefile maps", go to that site, navigate down to your country and state, and download the one file with "shapefiles" in the name (i.e. "washington.shapefiles.zip").  Extract that somewhere in your /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ directory (you can make subdirectories at will there to organize your maps), then reindex your maps (map->configure menu).  After that you'll have local OpenStreetMap maps on your hard drive and they'll show up in the Map Chooser.