[Xastir] No install

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 11:21:49 EST 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Murry B wrote:

> Just trying to install Xastir from cvs in PCLinuxOS
> I used the  "how to" and all seemed to go well
> except when I typed "make install" as root of course,
> I got this error.
>
> Make: *** no rule to make target install Stop

Which HOWTO did you follow?  The CVS howto?  If you're installing from cvs you'll need to do these:

     ./bootstrap.sh
     ./configure
     make
     make install

Each step needs to succeed, else no reason to run the rest of the commands.  In particular you'll need "autoconf" and "automake" installed in order for "bootstrap.sh" to succeeed.  "bootstrap.sh" creates the "configure" script.  "configure" checks your system for needed libraries and you may need to re-run it multiple times in-between installing packages in order to get its summary to display what you're after.  Check "config.log" for more details as to _why_ a particular library doesn't get compiled in.

Once you get through that stage, "make" and "make install".  In fact you can run "make && make install", which will only run the 2nd command if the first succeeds.

I just went through all of this yesterday on a brand-new (to me) laptop, so it's all fresh in my memory.  A great time to ask questions!