[Xastir] No install

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 17:52:34 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Murry B wrote:
>
>  Just trying to install Xastir from cvs in PCLinuxOS
>> I used the  "how to" and all seemed to go well
>> except when I typed "make install" as root of course,
>> I got this error.
>>
>> Make: *** no rule to make target install Stop
>>

> Which HOWTO did you follow?  The CVS howto?  If you're installing from cvs
> you'll need to do these:

He must have followed the Installation notes for PCLinuxOS 2010, which are
at http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:PCLinuxOS_2010.

I went through the installation notes (that I wrote last summer, by the
way), and I found the issue.  In the latest version of PCLinuxOS 2010, when
the user gets the terminal in root mode by issuing "su" followed by the root
password, the terminal ends up in the root directory instead of staying in
the directory it was in prior to issuing, "su".

So, to resolve the issue reported, the user needs to get to a terminal,
issue "su" followed by his root password, then issue "cd
/home/username/src/XASTIR/build1" substituting his own username for
'username' above.  The above assumes the user created the /src/XASTIR/build1
path as instructed.    Then issuing "make install" should work 'cause the
user is back in the correct directory.

I don't recall that the version of PCLinuxOS 2010 that came out last summer
behaved this way, but if it did, I missed it.  I'll update the HowTo in the
wiki regardless.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX