[Xastir] NOOOBIE with Questions

Neville A. Cross neville at taygon.com
Sun Jan 16 17:23:58 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 14:47 -0500, kb8uih at charter.net wrote:
> Thank you for the insites(sights?).  I needed a clue to open the
> terminal window to see these commands.

I am a average fedora user and a poor xastir user.
I am using gnome... so Terminal can be found in the top bar Applications
-> System Tools -> Terminal

If you find yourself having problema with the terminal I will sugest to
use packagekit... so in the top bar system-> Administration ->
add/remove software

When the aplications open you will see in the top left corner a serach
box. Write xastir and hit enter. I will take some time, as usuarlly
confirm the repositories. If you have just started your machine, it will
take longer as probably in the background is checking for upgrades.
Anyway it will show in the right box xastir, with a check style square.
Click on the square to check for installation a click Apply. It wil ask
for some dependencies and the for you administrative password.

After it has been installed ... it will be located in Applications->
Internet-> Xastir and has a icon that looks like a shadow of a 4x4 with
an antenna.

On first run will ask for configure your station. Nad then you should go
and configure interfases.

One thing that I have find confusing abou different linux flavors is
sudo vs. su... sudo is more like debian/ubuntu and in fedora you have to
configure your regular user among the sudo user. So probably will work
better the following sentence:

su -c "yum install xastir"

The other way for fedora is to issue a:
su
(then type root/administrator your password)

and the your prompt will say somenthing like [root at localhost user]#
then you can act free as administrator and issue

yum install xastir

One thing in my fedora experience is tha installing xastir like this
hates when you mistype your serial port and froze.

Windows to unix serialport translation will be something like
com1 usually is /dev/ttyS0
com2 usually is /dev/ttyS1

and if you have a usb seral port adaptor will be /dev/ttyUSB0

Hope this lines help you.

Keep asking if you need more help

--
Neville