[Xastir] Help with TH-D72

Harry Bloomberg hbloomb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 23:09:14 EST 2011

I've got a new Kenwood TH-D72 that I've interfaced to Xastir.  It's working
except for one problem.  Xastir is unable to obtain GPS data from the
TH-D72.  Whenever I do View->GPS, I see an error message: GPS data is older
than 30 seconds.

The frustrating thing is that at one time I was getting GPS data from the
TH-D72, but cannot any more.  The iGPS icon on the HT's display is blinking,
and I can see position when I hit the POS key on the front of the rig, so I
do believe I have valid GPS data.  And yes, I did enable output of GPS data
in menu 202 of the TH-D72.

Details:
   OS:  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
   Xastir version: 2.0.1 built from CVS source
   Hardware:  Dell Mini 10 1012 netbook
   Interface files: using same files as THD7...they seem close enough to
work for TH-D72...yes, I enabled the four lines at the bottom of the startup
file for use of the HT's GPS.

Xastir is a way cool APRS client, I especially like the Open Source maps.
All else is working except for this issue.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
hbloomb at gmail.dom