[Xastir] NOOOBIE with Questions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:07:33 EST 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, kb8uih at charter.net wrote:

> I have to figure out how to make the computer stop the
> timeout it has making me reenter my password to get back in to it
> periodically.  I may have to use another computer altogether that has more
> guts(Processor and RAM).

Are you running GNOME or KDE for your window manager?  Tell us that and somebody should be able to help you with the timeout, if it can be done.  Unfortunately I don't run either so I can't directly help with that answer.

Regarding the processor power and RAM:  I've run Xastir on a P133 with 64MB of RAM successfully.  I don't know if I'd recommend that, but just letting you know that Xastir doesn't need a lot to run.  The factor is how long do you want to wait for it to draw the maps.  Of course on that machine and similar ones I did some optimization to remove all processes on startup that I didn't need, as well as minimizing the number of virtual consoles that it starts up.  That gave me more available memory.