[Xastir] Config file for TM-D710A config script?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:35:12 EDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Jarett DeAngelis wrote:

> Okay, I must be really confused, then.  I have my TM-D710 connected via
> serial-USB cable to my computer.  This is "serial TNC," not KISS, isn't it?
>
> With that in mind, what do I need to give Xastir to get it to start up and
> start reading data/submitting packets to the TNC?  There IS a necessary
> configuration file, or there isn't?

The most reliable method of talking to TNC's from programs is via KISS protocol.  Unfortunately the Kenwood APRS rigs until recently had a crappy KISS protocol implementation.  I've heard the D-710 is better, and probably the TH-72 is also.

That said, you can operating the radio in either "Serial TNC" mode or "KISS" mode.  If KISS mode, you can do that in one of two ways.

If you choose serial TNC mode, you can try the "tnc-startup.d700" and "tnc-stop.d700" files in Xastir's "Serial TNC" interface dialog.  You may find suggested tweaks to come up with a D710 startup or stop file, and you can copy the other files to a new name and edit them to your heart's desire.

If you choose KISS mode, you'll need to get the radio into KISS mode separately, then configure either the "Serial KISS TNC" interface in Xastir -or- you can set up a full-blown AX.25 kernel networking port and then configure an "AX.25 Port" interface in Xastir to talk to it.  There are advantages/disadvantages to either method.  The former is simpler but doesn't allow sharing of the radio.  The latter is much more complicated but allows sharing.  See the www.xastir.org wiki pages for info on how to set up the latter.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
Additional pages:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u