[Xastir] Config file for TM-D710A config script?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 1 18:36:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 06:23:33PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jdeangelis at alumni.nd.edu> flavor, containing:
> Hi,
>
> Okay, I must be really confused, then.  I have my TM-D710 connected via
> serial-USB cable to my computer.  This is "serial TNC," not KISS, isn't it?
>
> With that in mind, what do I need to give Xastir to get it to start up and
> start reading data/submitting packets to the TNC?  There IS a necessary
> configuration file, or there isn't?

You will need a configuration file, but we don't have it in Xastir's
default set of ready-made configuration files, because nobody with commit
access has a device of that sort with which to test it, and nobody who's got
a D710 has submitted a tested, verified start-up file to us to add.

But if you look at the next note I posted, a fellow did post his D710 startup
file, and that might work (though I have no way to vouch for it).  Look at
that note, and copy the startup file he provides into a file called
"tnc-startup.d710" in /usr/local/share/xastir/config (if that directory in
fact is where your install of Xastir puts its config files).  In your
interface properties dialog of Xastir for your defined d710 interface,
put "tnc-startup.d710" in the box marked "TNC setup file name" and start
the interface.  The commands in the file should be sent off to the D710 to
take it out of APRS mode, put it into packet mode, and get it ready to talk
to Xastir.  Xastir should start displaying traffic in the "View->Incoming Data"
window.

The poster of that startup script did not post a stop script, but one could be
cobbled together from tnc-stop.d700 and a little knowledge of how the D710
commands differ from the D700's.

If the startup script in that post works for you, please let us know.  Now
that D710s are so common, it is high time we had a working D710 startup and
stop script in the repository.  If it works for you, we could add it to the
repository.