[Xastir] Config file for TM-D710A config script?

David A. Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sun Jul 3 23:45:56 EDT 2011

Hello Jarret,

I would put things differently:

A TNC running in KISS mode only sends the received (or transmitted) bits
from the airways to another device (usually a computer) via RS-232.  The
computer would then organize those bits into AX.25 frames that the
computer's stack can then en/decode the packets to see what to do with
it.  A TNC *not* in KISS mode will do all the AX.25 framing locally and
only send the computer the resulting serial text.  This serial text
would be very much like an old dial-up modem would show when connecting
to an old 1980's style BBS before the days of SLIP or PPP.

> Okay!  So EVERYTHING "speaks" KISS on some level... including things like
> PSK-31, Olivia and RTTY?

No, not quite

Packet Radio is either - http://www.symek.com/g/pacmod.html:
   - AX.25 over 1200baud Bell 202 AFSK which is a unique mode in itself
   - AX.25 over 9600baud G3RUH FSK with

PSK-31 is a completely different mode that does not use AX.25 protocol -
it also doesn't use the Bell 202 modem.  It uses Phase Shift Keying

Olivia is also a completely unique mode and doesn't use AX.25

RTTY is also a unique mode and doesn't use AX.25 but it does start to
resemble the Bell 202 modem in some aspects

> I think I am going to start making a table of what protocols and
> applications work on which OSI layers.  APRS is obviously layer 7 (maybe 6
> if you want to get really technical about it)... AX.25 seems like it might
> be a mix of layers 2 and 3.

I think Bell 202 1200 packet would be layer 2 (similar to say Ethernet)
and AX.25 would be layer 3 (similar to say TCP/IP)

> I'm doing digital two ways: one, with my Kenwood TM-D710 (I don't
> particularly care how I get this done with the exception that I like the
> AX.25 network interface way of doing it, but I don't know how to treat this
> radio like an AX.25 interface), and the other with a laptop running
> soundmodem and my Wouxun KG-UVD1P HT.  I've actually gotten soundmodem
> working before in AX.25 network interface mode
As you probably know, soundmodem is a soundcard based soft-TNC.  It does
all the Bell 202 mod/demodulation and offers a KISS interface to the
Linux operating system's AX.25 protocol stack.  Interestingly enough,
soundmodem also supports other modes as well but they aren't commonly
used.  I've used it for 300baud HF packet, 1200baud AFSK VHF packet, and
9600baud FSK/G3RUH UHF packet.

> , the only problem being that
> I had a bear of a time getting the stupid thing to trip PTT.  I think I've
> finally solved that issue with a circuit board I built.  We shall see this
> evening.

Check out the "PTT interface" from my local Elmer's pages.  I have an
adaption for the Kenwood TH-F6A as well.  It worked very well for me
until I got the D710.

   http://www.dunmire.org/projects/DigitalCommCenter/index.html

> Eventually I'd like to be able to run all digital modes on both rigs.  One
> thing at a time, though :)

Always a good plan.. as I learned, I added more and more into my system
and thus why I started loading everything into one master script.  A bit
complicated.. yes but it's all in one place and it works well for me and
I hope that it might help others as well.

--David