[Xastir] Config file for TM-D710A config script?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:55:09 EDT 2011

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011, David A. Ranch wrote:

> One major benefit with
> this Xastir TNC command-mode approach is that you should be able to poll the
> D710 for GPS coordinates.  I don't think this is possible in KISS mode.

Forgot about that, but I belive you're right.  No GPS data across to the PC when the radio is in KISS mode.  You can get around that by splitting the GPS cable's receive data and ground lines, sending them to the radio -and- to another serial port on the PC.

> On
> the flip side, the benefit of the KISS setup approach is that the Linux
> kernel can be the AX.25 interface so that other applications beyond just
> Xastir can communicate with the TNC.  One can question the value of running
> KISS while on a APRS frequency but you can use the "monitor", "mheard", and
> other cool tools that comes with the ax25-tools suite.

Those, plus one may wish to run Digi_NED to gain full-blown digipeater capabilities.  Xastir's digipeating capabilities are miniscule in comparison...  On purpose.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html