[Xastir] xastir message via Internet

Eric egrumling at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:03:09 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 09:45 -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> No.  It means Xastir v2.0.0

Ah, I see.

> > owner doesn't allow Internet traffic to pass to RF? Is that SOP?
>
> Yes on that last, some igates are set up to go RF->INET only and don't gate in the other direction.  It's impossible to do two-way messaging using those stations, but often there are other igates (perhaps with a longer RF path) that can pick up the slack.

I think that is the case. I was able to send a message to my D700 in the
car, which has a better antenna/receiver, and it picked up from another
gateway without trouble. I then used a WIDE2-2 path and was able to send
to my d72.

> I'm not sure what you're trying to do from the description.  Are you:
>
> *) Using your own Xastir station as the INET->RF gateway?  In this case if you have your setting right, you're in complete control of the igating and which directions the igating is enabled for.

Basically just screwing around. :) But the practical side is that I've
been able to message to and from RF to a friend in another state. Since
it is difficult to type on the keyboard of the D-xx radios I'd like to
use my PC when in front of it. Normally I'll have my d72 set up for
local comms and the gateway for more long-distance monitoring. There is
already a robust digi/GW network in the area and I'd just be adding
redundancy (not in a good way) to the system. I really was just testing
my installation to make sure it will send to the RF network through the
Internet.

> *) Using other INET->RF gateways for your messaging, with your Xastir instance only on INET?  This is where you might have trouble with other igates set to receive only.

And that's what I believe I found. I'm going to see about contacting the
GW owner to see if there's any reason he has it set up this way, and if
he'd be interested in making the change.

> *) Using Xastir to talk directly to your D72?  Looks like you've done that.  For your RF path you should use "WIDE2-1" (1 hop) or "WIDE2-2" (2 hops).  From your mobile/portable you should probably use "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" (2 hops using mountaintop -or- home fill-in digis for the first hop).

WIDE2-2 worked, but I'll try 2-1

> For communicating over the internet with Xastir, path settings are not needed but you do need to be a verified user.  They used to allow communication between unverified INET-only stations but they disabled that feature in the INET system a while back.
>
> Back to paths, for my RF interface (an AX.25 kernel interface) I have:
>
>                 Path1:  WIDE2-1
>      Igate -> RF Path:  WIDE2-1

Thanks for your help.

Eric, K0JEG