[Xastir] ax25 question

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:05:21 EDT 2011

Hello,

I've been using a Kantronics KPC9612+ (1200 port only) with XASTIR -
no problems - currently working in KISS mode via a usb to serial
adapter (USB0).  I decided to venture into sharing the TNC via ax25
for the fist time.

I'm following the HowTo at http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:AX.25.  I
added the following line to /etc/ax25/axports and commented out 2
others, so that the only line not commented is...

aprs	K5DAT-10	9600	255	2	APRS

Next I added the aliases that were not already present - in the
current Linux Mint Debian, the file is actually
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf as opposed to etc/modules/aliases.  I
think Debian must have changed the location at some point.  There was
no /sbin/update-modules, so I rebooted hoping that would update them.

Next I tried the manual test (as root via sudo -s)

# /usr/sbin/kissattach /dev/ttyUSB0 aprs 44.24.250.249

The response was the expected 'AX.25 port aprs bound to device ax0'

Next I entered the following:

# /usr/sbin/kissparms  -p aprs  -t 500  -s 200    -r 32       -l 100  -f n

But I got the following response:

'axconfig:port aprs not active'
'kissparms: no AX.25 ports configured'

Any ideas?