[Xastir] Xastir and the TH-D72 on OSX Mac

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jul 5 15:27:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 01:03:46PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ve6srv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > It also works with the D700 so long as you have a "GPSTEXT" command in the
> > startup file to tell the TNC to send periodic NMEA sentences of that type.
> > I don't know that the radio is caring about the control-E in
> > this case --- it may just stream the NMEA data regardless, and Xastir is
> > just OK with that because the NMEA and APRS data are both expected on that
> > port, unlike a plain Serial TNC interface.
>
> The Kenwoods fire GPS data all the time, no Ctrl-E needed.

That's pretty much what I thought.  But unless you've got "Serial TNC with
GPS on AUX port" chosen, Xastir isn't expecting to see the NMEA data on the
port, I think.  At least, that's what I've always thought to be the case.
I run my D700 through Xastir using that sort of interface for that reason.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey