[Xastir] Xastir and the TH-D72 on OSX Mac

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:31:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, James Ewen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
>> It also works with the D700 so long as you have a "GPSTEXT" command in the
>> startup file to tell the TNC to send periodic NMEA sentences of that type.
>> I don't know that the radio is caring about the control-E in
>> this case --- it may just stream the NMEA data regardless, and Xastir is
>> just OK with that because the NMEA and APRS data are both expected on that
>> port, unlike a plain Serial TNC interface.
>
> The Kenwoods fire GPS data all the time, no Ctrl-E needed.

I remember now hearing such things before.  Thanks to you and Tom for clarifying how that radio works.

In Xastir's case, we only have two types of interface that can receive both APRS data and GPS data on the same port, and you probably don't want to use the HSP one 'cuz it messes with a handshake line to switch back and forth.  That leaves the one I mentioned earlier, which sends a Control-E periodically, which is ignored by the Kenwood, so all is well.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS in Search and Rescue:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/search_and_rescue.html