[Xastir] ax25 question

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:34:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Lee Bengston wrote:
>
>> I find it strange that the Keyspan usb to serial adapter worked fine
>> when talking to a serial TNC or a serial KISS TNC but didn't want to
>> work as an ax25 interface.
>
> It might come down to permissions/ownership of the port.  If you did the
> "chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" command, then Xastir switches to "root"
> when opening ports.

When I was using the Keyspan, even launching Xastir as root didn't
work, and I was not getting a permission denied type of error.  I had
also tried chmod 4755 without success prior to running Xastir as root.
 I do wonder, though, if I had unplugged the Keyspan and completely
started over with it as I did by starting over with the Prolific
adapter, if it would have worked as well.  It was already working as
an interface to a serial kiss TNC, however, before I tried to make it
work with ax25.

> When I start up AX.25 ports at home I need to be root to issue the commands.
>  I put them all in one script for "up", another for "down", but did not
> integrate those scripts into the /etc/init.d scripts yet to auto-run when
> starting the machine.  I seldom boot my machines so for me it's not a big
> deal.

I haven't set up any scripts yet.  Since aprsg is started via
/etc/init.d, I'll have to figure out how to get the ax25 interface to
initialize and start before aprsg does.  There's an interesting HowTo
at http://pakettiradio.net/debian_ax25_mini-howto/ for setting up ax25
in Debian by adding a network interface.  Perhaps that will load up
before the stuff in /etc/init.d (if set to 'auto").

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT