[Xastir] ax25 problems

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sun Jul 17 22:11:18 EDT 2011

Got a problem with ax25 and soundmodem install on a xubuntu 10.04 LTS
box (HP TC-1100 tablet).

Using the Synaptic Package Manager (gui apt-get), I had installed ax25
stuff and soundmodem stuff */after/* I had installed xastir.  So, xastir
did not have the necessary parts loaded.  After realizing this, I ran
the update-xastir script and now ax25 parts are included in xastir to
where I see the interface when I add an AX25-TNC.  So far so good, or so
I thought.

BTW, I am following the steps in the xastir wiki: HowTo AX25 and HowTo
Soundmodem.

I have run the soundmodemconfig program to setup the soundmodem with the
interface name of 'sm0' and mode of MKISS.  When testing with the
Diagnostics tab of that same program, I see APRS packets decoded, and
hear the brab in the speaker.  So I know the soundmodem is working in
the receive section.  The transmit will be next after I solve the
receive problems.

I start xastir and go to the Interface tab.  I have the AX25-TNC already
added, but, the AX25-TNC will not come up when I click the Start
button.  I see this error in the terminal window in which I start xastir:

axconfig: port sm0 not active
ERROR: problem with axports file
Sun Jul 17 20:36:23 CDT 2011:
     Interface Error!  AX.25 problem with axports file

Sun Jul 17 20:36:23 CDT 2011:
     Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail

Here is the axports file in /etc/ax25:

# /etc/ax25/axports
#
# The format of this file is:
#
# name callsign speed paclen window description
#
#1    OH2BNS-1    1200    255    2    144.675 MHz (1200  bps)
#2    OH2BNS-9    38400    255    7    TNOS/Linux  (38400 bps)
sm0    KG5LT-2        4800    256    7    144.390 MHz (1200 bps) APRS
#sm0    K5BWD-2        4800    256    7    144.390 MHz (1200 bps) Radiogram

I also see (before bringing up xastir) in the terminal window I use to
bring up soundmodem these errors (with or without the -M option).  The
smstart.sh script is: soundmodem -M -v 5:

barc at tc1100-dev:~$ ./smstart.sh
sm[1936]: kiss: symlink error: /dev/pts/2 -> /dev/soundmodem0
sm[1936]: audio: starting "/dev/dsp"
sm[1936]: audio: forcing half duplex mode
sm[1936]: audio: sample rate 9600 input fragsz 256 numfrags 128 output
fragsz 256 numfrags 128
sm[1936]: mlockall: Cannot allocate memory (12)

What might I be doing wrong?  I see no reference in either the AX25 or
soundmodem HowTo that talks about the seeming need for a symlink.  Am I
missing something.  Are the HowTo's missing something?  It would seem
that the symlink error and the sm0 port not active error are related?

Anyone with experience?  It can't be that difficult, but right now, I'm
blind-sided.  I want to use the MKISS rather than the KISS interface.  I
have not tried the KISS interface, IIRC.

I'll be glad to pass along any other bits of information as needed.

I'm open to words of wisdom...

73 - Dale.  KG5LT