[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 68, Issue 14

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Mon Jul 18 13:38:20 EDT 2011

David,

Thanks for the reply.  The baudrate in the axports refers to the comm
speed between the 'sm0' port (in my case) and a tnc via some serial
port.  See the link: http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/AX.25 in the section
labeled "Creating the /etc/ax25/axports file" where each field is
described.  The Channel section of the same document mentions the actual
RF speed (1200 in our case).  The RF speed is not in the axports file.
But, because I am using a soundcard for my "TNC", that baudrate is a
moot point.  The soundmodemconfig tool sets the RF baudrate which
impacts the soundmodem.conf file, independent of the axports file.

Now, on to more interesting findings late last night, or should I say
early this morning.  I somehow, in my "twisting knobs" (diddling with
software parms), I lost the ability to decode the incoming packets with
the smdiag tool.  No matter what I tried it simply would not decode (I
did not reboot the box, probably like I should have).  I really wanted
the internal sound card to be my "TNC".

However, I had purchased two of those cheap USB Sound Cards off ebay a
month or so ago.  So, I hooked one up and did the soundmodemconfig
thing.  But, I still got some errors that now appeared to gave me a clue
that the soundmodem app needed to be running as root.  Each of the
documents I read says to run in user space.  I'm sure that is for
security purposes.  Phooey on that advice (for now), I did a 'sudo
soundmodem -M -v 5' and up it came without any errors at all!  YES!  The
smdiag now decodes beautifully.  So, I brought up xastir and YES, I'm
seeing stations!  A real plus for the USB Sound Cards, is that the
associated sound mixer is very simple compared to that gosh-awful,
complex to the point of being absurd, sound mixer for the internal sound
card.

The USB Sound Card is not exactly what I wanted, but it works.  BTW,
those USB Sound Cards are dirt-cheap, like $1.97 buy-now price with free
shipping.  Beats the price of a h/w TNC!  My plans are for a VOX PTT
circuit married to the USB Sound Cards similar to the one on G4ILO's
page:  http://www.g4ilo.com/usblink.html.

Now, when I get some time I will go back and try the internal sound card
again, this time running the soundmodem as root.

These TC1100 tablet PC's will be deployed for primarily ARES work (real
emergencies or S.E.T.'s), so security is not an issue.  They do have
WiFi cards, but those are not configured at this time for use.  They
probably need a special driver for ubuntu.

Is there a real compelling reason to run soundmodem in user space, other
than security?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT