[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 68, Issue 14

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 23:22:35 EDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 11:00 AM, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> From:
> Alex Carver <kf4lvz at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> 7/18/2011 1:40 PM
>
> To:
> Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
>

> --- On Mon, 7/18/11, Dale Seaburg<kg5lt at verizon.net>  wrote:
>> >  Is there a real compelling reason to run soundmodem in user
>> >  space, other than security?
> User space is defined to be where users live, including root.  The other space is kernel space which is where you typically find device drivers, memory management, some network services, etc.  So in the case of soundmodem you're running in user space, but you're running as root versus generic user.
>
> What you've discovered by running under root is that there is a permissions problem which is prohibiting access to the hardware by software running as any user other than root.  You'll have to focus on the permissions part to avoid needing root.

Thanks Alex for the correct terminology.  Linux is not my primary
platform, so I'll use that as my excuse for the term-fumble.

Update on my soundmodem dilemma.  I said I got the USB soundcard working
in receive mode.  That was correct.  I decided to try to see if a reboot
would take care of the internal soundcard issues of not decoding.
Nada!  But, worse, when I tried to setup the USB soundcard again, it
wouldn't work either.  Double-phooey!  I'm not impressed with this whole
setup.  Too many inconsistent, non-repeatable issues to deal with.  I
just don't have enough basic knowledge coupled with inexperience with
ax25, soundmodem and used PC's.  Not sure who to blame: intermittent PC
h/w, lack of knowledge, new parts and wrong drivers.  ARGH!  Way too
many unknowns to deal with in a logical manner.  Plus I feel I'm in a
time-crunch to get what I want working correctly and consistently.  When
in a real emergency, the last thing we all want is intermittent gear!

Maybe when I can get a working solution (not optimal, but working) I can
spend some time working through the soundmodem issues.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Dale.  KG5LT