[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 68, Issue 14

Jarett DeAngelis jdeangelis at alumni.nd.edu
Thu Jul 21 09:46:19 EDT 2011

What's the best distro from this sort of thing?  Arch?

KC2KOA
On Jul 21, 2011 1:10 AM, "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>
>> Thanks Alex for the correct terminology. Linux is not my primary
platform,
>> so I'll use that as my excuse for the term-fumble.
>>
>> Update on my soundmodem dilemma. I said I got the USB soundcard working
in
>> receive mode. That was correct. I decided to try to see if a reboot would

>> take care of the internal soundcard issues of not decoding. Nada! But,
>> worse, when I tried to setup the USB soundcard again, it wouldn't work
>> either. Double-phooey! I'm not impressed with this whole setup. Too many
>> inconsistent, non-repeatable issues to deal with. I just don't have
enough
>> basic knowledge coupled with inexperience with ax25, soundmodem and used
>> PC's. Not sure who to blame: intermittent PC h/w, lack of knowledge, new
>> parts and wrong drivers. ARGH! Way too many unknowns to deal with in a
>> logical manner. Plus I feel I'm in a time-crunch to get what I want
working
>> correctly and consistently. When in a real emergency, the last thing we
all
>> want is intermittent gear!
>>
>> Maybe when I can get a working solution (not optimal, but working) I can
>> spend some time working through the soundmodem issues.
>
> If you're running a modern Linux that has sound support built-in and
trying to use the default sound card for soundmodem, you definitely have the
deck stacked against you.

> If you can yank out or at least temporarily stop some of the built-in
sound capability, you can perhaps eliminate some variables. Some of the
newer window managers seem to do a lot of sound stuff though.

> Another complication: Multiple mixer apps, that may or may not support all
of the options of your default soundcard, or may not support them properly.
Sometimes just disabling digital and enabling audio channels, plus setting
the levels properly, is all that you need to start decoding packets.