[Xastir] Maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 19:47:58 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM, WE0Z <bbailey21 at att.net> wrote:
> I have not gotten experienced enough to develop my own map library so I rely
> of the Internet download from Osmerander. While I see it downloads the tiles
> and paints the map and I realize it takes time to download and then it
> caches maps every time it downloads new tiles.
>
>  The question I have is those tiles that have been cached where do they go
> as I cannot seem to find them and also if they are stored on the disk why
> does it take so long to repaint the map from the disk? Is there something I
> can do. I am running dual-core 32-bit with 2GB RAM.

One of my Xastir installations is on an Intel atom based computer -
1Ggz with 2GB of RAM.  It's been kind of an experiment for a headless
IGate among other things.  One of the things I did while playing
around was install APRSIS32 under wine.  Even while being at a
disadvantage under wine, the OSM map performance is outstanding -
zooms, moves, etc happen significantly faster than what I see with
Xastir - it's really not close.  So it seems there's room for
improvement on the OSM map front, although the addition of the OSM
support in general is still a fantastic thing.

Lee - K5DAT