[Xastir] Improvements

Dexter N Muir dexy at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jun 17 02:19:17 EDT 2011

Tom Russo wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:07:47 -0600
From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Improvements

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:52:38AM +1200, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <dexy at ihug.co.nz> flavor, containing:

>    3. Right-click on map brings up a menu. It used to be 'sticky', staying
> there until a selection or dismiss with left-click. I have to hold the
right
> button down and drag to selection - what changed?

This is because of a work-around for a broken X server release 1.7.5.
This version of X (which might still be inflicted on some users of older
distros) broke all Motif programs that use XmCreatePopupMenu, causing them
to grab the cursor *permanently* upon popping up the menu until the program
is
killed from outside the X session, rendering the entire X session useless
until the program is killed.  Version 1.7.6 fixed the problem, but many
distros had already committed themselves to 1.7.5 and don't upgrade past
that
version unless the base system is upgraded, too.

The downside of this work-around is the one you note.  The upside is that
users stuck with X server 1.7.5 can actually use the program.

When 1.7.5 is completely buried and not present in any distro, we could
probably remove the workaround.    It is in main.c around line 9033:

#if XmVersion >= 2000
    XtVaSetValues(right_menu_popup, XmNpopupEnabled, XmPOPUP_DISABLED,
NULL);
    XtUngrabButton(da, AnyButton, AnyModifier);
#else
    XtVaSetValues(right_menu_popup, XmNpopupEnabled, False, NULL);
#endif

If you remove those lines, which were the only change needed to make Xastir
usable with X server 1.7.5, it should revert to the old behavior (so long as
you're not using X server 1.7.5, that should be OK).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?DDTNM
 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

Thanks Tom,

   Looks like Kubuntu 11.4 has a "good" X server.  Taking those lines out
did the trick.
   Maybe that #if test could be a bit more specific and only target the
"bad" servers?

73 de ZL2DEX