[Xastir] Mission: Impossible? Yaesu VX-2, soundmodem and Xastir

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 09:23:59 EDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:10:52 Jarett DeAngelis wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> So, I have been planning to take a trip from South Bend IN to the upper
> peninsula of MI.  I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P that I was planning to work
> packet with while I was up there, across Lake Superior to Canada.  It was a
> foolproof plan, or so I thought.  I built a PTT circuit for the Wouxun that
> could be tripped by my parallel port.  I was ready to go.
>
> One problem.
>
> I can't find my Wouxun.
>
> So.  I have a Yaesu VX-2 that's been mostly retired.  Does anyone know of a
> fast way to build an interface that Xastir and soundmodem can use to trip
> PTT on the Yaesu so I can get on the air this holiday weekend?  We leave
> tonight.

If you have the circuit built you just need to build a cable for the 4-pin
3.5mm plug in the VX2r.

Here's the pinout:

http://www.kc8unj.com/pinout.jpg

Basically, from the tip, tip is speaker (audio out of radio) next is a
bidirectional serial data pin, next is mic. (audio in to radio) and lastly
ground.  The VX2r combines mic. and PTT, probably the same as the Wouxun.

I don't know if you have an electronics shop nearby, but you can get a 4-pin
3.5mm plug by cannibalising an iPod or iPhone earphone accessory.  Watch out,
ground is on the 3rd connector from the tip, but this may not matter
depending on exactly what accessory you get.

I have a VX2r myself, and it is this radio I have been using to test my USB
audio adapter with PTT and soundmodem, but I don't think you have time to
make all of the parts...

Good luck,

73,

Andrew