[Xastir] Local maps slow on zooming

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 3 17:50:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 04:26:02PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <pldelong at airolan.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello:
>
> I have xastir up and running under Fedora 14 as a VM under VMware Player with one 2.53GHz Xeon CPU core and 1GB of RAM allocated on a Dell Precision T3500.
>
> I downloaded the TIGER/LINE 2006 shapefiles for Ohio to a sub-folder I created under the maps folder as a test. I find that zooming in and out is painfully slow. I can see all the files loading in the status box in the lower left corner each time I zoom in or out.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something?

Do you have your Xastir built with "rtree" support?  Rtree support (which is
currently the default) does speed up zooming and panning after the first
rendering of a shapefile (by creating a spatial index of shapes in the file so
it doesn't have to check every single shape to see if it's on the screen).

Do you have "auto maps" turned on (you shouldn't)?  Sometimes this is the
cause of unreasonable loading behavior.

The only files that should be getting loaded at any zoom level are those that
overlap the screen, so if "all the files" are loading, there's something goofy.
How big an area are you attempting to view?  Does it include a large number
of counties?

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."