[Xastir] Soundmodem

Mark White jmarkw at ec.rr.com
Sat May 7 09:53:57 EDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 5:04 AM, Andrew Errington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where should soundmodem development/bugs be addressed to?
>
> I am trying to create two modems, one on each of two USB audio devices.  I
> want one on /dev/soundmodem0 and one on /dev/soundmodem1.  I can configure
> what I want with soundmodemconfig and it is recorded correctly
> in /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf, but when I run soundmodem only the first listed
> device is created.
>
> I tried this with version 0.10 (packaged with my distro) and 0.15 (built from
> source).
>
> Aside from that I'd also like to report that soundmodem -h doesn't work, and
> it is also not obvious how to get a version number.
>
> 73,
>
> Andrew

Andrew

It's been a while since I've used soundmodem but I don't think there is
an official list to report bugs.  It pretty much "just works".  A long,
long time ago, I did some development related to soundmodem and mkiss
but my memory is a little fogged so bare with me.

Since the ax25 stack is integrated into the Linux networking stack,
applications like xastir use the standard networking API to send and
receive packets.  On the bottom, you need a driver to send the actual
data to the device.  For soundmodem, that driver is mkiss.  But it
doesn't actually 'drive' a real hardware device; it sets up one end of a
PTY (can't remember if it's the master of slave end).  Soundmodem sets
up the other end and encodes / decodes data between the PTY and sound
card.  Pretty ingenious in that all the heavy lifting is done in user
land as opposed to down in the kernel.

So, I'm not sure what you're trying to do constitutes a bug.  Since
you're trying to drive two sound cards, it would seem that you need two
instances of soundmodem running.  Never tried doing that and I'm not
sure if that is possible with mkiss.  If it works, note that all traffic
from ax25 apps will go out both sound cards.

Pretty much all I remember.
Mark