[Xastir] Xastir latest for Ubuntu... was: Fwd: [Ubuntu-hams] more ham packages in the ubuntu-hams PPA (fwd)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:09:12 EDT 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011, Jarett DeAngelis wrote:

> I've been told that unless you compile from source you don't get as many
> maps - and cannot add them later.  Is this accurate?

Depends.  If your distribution provides packages for Xastir that are pre-2.0.0, then yes.  There was a bunch of work some months back (almost a year already?) to implement OpenStreetMaps in Xastir.  That was done during the 1.9.9 CVS versions, so you want 2.0.0 (released) or 2.0.1 (CVS) in order to get those maps.  Prior to that we were using online Tigermaps, but the server for that went away.

For this Ubuntu announcement I believe I heard they're putting out Xastir-2.0.1, so you should be good to go.  If you're an Ubuntu user, try it and see!

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html