[Xastir] Mepis 11 and DEB file install

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon May 30 20:35:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Tony Hunt <wavetel at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Just for info I have done a fresh install of the recent Mepis 11 release on a machine. I tried the binary deb file for xastir 2.01 from  Lee Bengstons contributions. This installed very easily and quickly with gdebi .. Just thought some might  like to know about this one. Thanks again Lee. Good one.

> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Linux_Mint_Debian_Binary
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Hunt VK5AH

Hi Tony,

Funny you were trying that out this weekend because I was trying out
Mepis11 for the first time as well as trying Ubuntu 11.04 on something
other than a netbook.  I was in the process of building a new binary
package for 11.04 with the intent of also trying it out in Mepis 11
(and eventually other Debian based distro's) when I saw your email
this morning.

http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/xastir201-debian6-ubuntu-1104-mepis11-i386-2011May-30.deb

The new version is done and has been installed and tested in clean
installations of Xubuntu 11.04 and Mepis 11.  LIke its predecessor
from December, I expect it to work in Ubuntu 10.10, Linux Mint Debian,
and Debian 6.0, and I can add Mepis 11 and Ubuntu 11.04 to the list.
Given it works in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04, it should also work in the
equivalent Ubuntu based versions of LInux Mint, but I don't plan to
test those.

One caveat - both the binary from December and the one from today are
built with Imagemagick.  If someone has already installed
Graphicsmagick and depends on it, there could be a conflict when
installing the new deb package.  One interesting note on that - Mepis
11 comes with Graphicsmagick installed.  Some of the Imagemagick
libraries are pre-installed as well (but not the package specifically
named 'imagemagick').  Installing the binary installs imagemagick as a
dependency, but there's no issue - everything seems to work fine.

I don't remember exactly what the "major" (if any) bug fixes were
between a CVS snapshot from 5 months ago vs. now, so I don't know if
it is worth it to upgrade if the December binary is working fine for
you.  If you do upgrade, I would just remove it with Synaptic, and
then install the newer one.  I already tried that as part of my
testing, and it worked fine - all settings were retained.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT