[Xastir] (no subject)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Nov 5 18:52:15 EDT 2011

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 12:20:22PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd5mkv at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:

> I used the cvs update this week and started recieveing errors in terminal. I using Ubuntu 10.4 i386 on a hp 2250 minitower.
>
> execvp failed, errno = 2 (No such file or directory)
> Magick: "html2ps" "-U" "-o" "/tmp/gm1un72c" "/home/kd5mkv1/.xastir/OSMtiles/topOSMc/10/232/433.png".
> Magick: Delegate failed ("html2ps" -U -o "%o" "%i").
> Removing /home/kd5mkv1/.xastir/OSMtiles/topOSMc/10/232/433.png
> execvp failed, errno = 2 (No such file or directory)
> Magick: "html2ps" "-U" "-o" "/tmp/gmJmV244" "/home/kd5mkv1/.xastir/OSMtiles/topOSMc/10/233/433.png".
> Magick: Delegate failed ("html2ps" -U -o "%o" "%i").
> Removing /home/kd5mkv1/.xastir/OSMtiles/topOSMc/10/233/433.png

Seeing these "html2ps" messages means that the on-line map server you're
using has returned an error.

Here's what happens.

Xastir issues an HTML request to the map server for a PNG file.  It ASSUMES
that it gets a PNG file back, and sends it off to ImageMagick for processing.

But if the server returns an error, it returns HTML text (usually).
ImageMagick tries to convert the HTML to an image, which requires a script
called "html2ps" that you clearly don't have installed, so ImageMagick
is complaining.

But even if you did install html2ps, what you'd wind up with is an HTML error
message in your Xastir window instead of a map.  And it may well be that the
message is illegible (I had that happen once to the weather radar overlay,
and was wondering why there was a hash of junk in one corner of my map window,
and finally figured out that it was poorly rendered, distorted text).

So there are two problems
  1) The map server you're using is returning an error
  2) You don't have the html2ps converter installed
  3) Xastir doesn't notice that it got an HTML file instead of the PNG it
     assumes its gotten
  4) I can't count.

Your best bet to solve the issue is to switch to a different online map
choice.

But since you mention "cloudmade_5" it looks like you're trying to use one of
the OSM un-tiled map options.  You might like the tiled versions better
anyway.  Try OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo or OSM_tiled_osmarender.geo.

The tiled versions run much faster once they've downloaded a few batches of
tiles, because they're not trying to load the full screen image for every
view.  They download tiles that cover part of your view, so when you pan the
work it's done previously is not all wasted --- as you pan, it only has to
download new tiles for the areas that got moved into view, and can reuse the
tiles that were in your previous view.