[Xastir] Modifications for new Australian Wx Shapefiles

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:35:59 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Alex Carver <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You may want to look at
>
> http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/business/index_e.html
>
> from Environment Canada.

I looked at that a couple years ago.

> It appears the data you need is being supplied as an RSS (XML) feed which
> is the same as the NOAA-NWS service to the general population.

Can you point me at the NOAA-NWS feed that is used by the NWS WX
server so that I can make some comparisons?

> If you've already looked at this or it doesn't work then don't mind me. :)

I already looked at it, but without a reference to know what it is
that I am looking for, it is very difficult to be able to make a
decision as to whether the information available is adequate or not.

The only information I have been able to find about the NWS WX server
stream is the APRS output, and obviously Environment Canada doesn't
have a stream of APRS data. I need to know what is being fed INTO the
NWS WX server that is being massaged into the APRS WX alerting output.
Once I know what is being fed into the NWS WX Server, I can look for a
similar product being supplied by Environment Canada.

I would very much like to be able to have weather alerts available
across Canada, but just need to first find out if the input data is
available. If that is available, then the next step would be to create
the wedge that massages the input stream into the desired output
stream, along with making all the shapefiles for the various alerting
areas. I had asked about the alerting shapefiles years ago, and they
were at that time still a licensed product from a third party, and not
able to be released.

Also, does the NWS provide a product that has the vertices of the
bounding boxes that are used to produce the multiline alerting areas?
A sample of that would be desirable... I doubt EC has that, they tend
to just alert by forecast area.

--
James
VE6SRV