[Xastir] TNC setup problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Oct 18 18:52:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 03:14:52PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kristen.eisenberg at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a fresh install of Fedroa14 with the latest Xastir installed. I
> have got the USB setup and TNC will work fine in normal connected packet
> mode.
>
> I am using a KPC-2 TNC...

That was the first TNC I ever used for Xastir, so I know that it *should* work,
but that was years ago.

AAAARGH.

Yes, I just remembered.  Some time ago (in 2005, actually) the default command
sent by Xastir to put the TNC into "converse mode" was changed to "K" instead
of "conv" --- most new TNCs support that, and there was apparently one or two
that *ONLY* supported "K".  Unfortunately, that was done by using a "#define"
in the source code instead of making it a configurable option at runtime.  That
coding expedient has bitten a couple of others here in the last year or
two, I think.

What it means is that the KPC-2 no longer works with a default build of Xastir,
nor will any old TNC that does not support the "K" shortcut for converse mode.

Fortunately, it's easy to change if you are building Xastir from source code.
Edit file "src/interface.h" and scan for "KPC-2" You'll find two lines that
set "CONVERSE_MODE", one commented out and one not --- then comment out the
line with '#define CONVERSE_MODE "K"' and uncomment the one with '#define
CONVERSE_MODE "conv"'

Using a pre-built binary for your system is not an option for you, you'll
*have* to build from source.  But if you already are, it shouldn't be very
difficult to adjust the source code to build so that it supports the KPC-2.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey