[Xastir] corrupt packets

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Oct 19 11:28:35 EDT 2011

If you mean corrupt packets are causing object definition overwrites,
well, that's the definition of objects.  If you hear someone else
beaconing "your" object, the spec says you are supposed to "cease
transmitting" your object.  However, UI-View (and apparently xastir)
implemented this as "adopt the received definition" and duly modify
their local definition of the received object.

PS.  The full spec section on "Replacing an Object / Item" in
aprs101.pdf states:

> A fundamental precept of APRS is that any station may take over the
> reporting responsibility for an APRS Object or Item, by simply
> transmitting a
> new report with the same Object/Item name.
> The replacement report may specify the existing location or a new
> location.
> The original station will cease transmitting an Object/Item Report when it
> sees an incoming report with the same name from another station.

APRSISCE/32 doesn't have this implemented yet, but my plan is two-fold
to avoid this issue.  1) When an locally-declared object is heard from
another station, the Xmit Enabled of that object will be turned off and
an internal message generated to inform the local operator.  2) Support
a "Keep It Mine" configuration option that ignores the fact that someone
tried to adopt (commandeer) the object and simply retransmit the local
definition on the next interval (this is basically what it does now
being oblivious to the received object).

However, in either case, the received object WILL be placed on the map
and the information duly recorded and displayed until something
different is received (as in #2 above) for the object in the future.

Oh, and if anyone transmits an object or item that commandeers a real
station, of course the station isn't aware of this and on the next
normal beacon "ownership" of that ID reverts back to the "real" station.