[Xastir] Soundmodem?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Sep 1 14:52:31 EDT 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Joe Bennett wrote:
>
>> Took your advise Curt, I've been looking at the SignalLink for a while now
>> and it makes sense for what I want to do... I like to build things myself,
>> but I'm interested in having a VHF/UHF/HF 'go' box(es) and the SignaLink is
>> just a clean way of minimizing cables and getting me where I want to go...
>
> Rgr.  Even cleaner if you just wire straight across on the internal header and then build the radio-specific wiring and components into each radio cable.  Then you don't have to open up the SignaLink to change radios...  Just change cables.  I have extra open-ended cables and wired them up myself.  The factory wiring for each radio doesn't allow you to do the instant-change thing like I do:  They expect you to also open up the box and change jumpers each time.

It does require an opening of the box, but DX Engineering sells a plug-in header that you can wire up for each radio you use and interchange those so you don't have to remember jumper combinations.  I use it in my SLUSB and it works fairly well:

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=2456&PLID=358&SecID=135&DeptID=42&PartNo=TIG-SLHEAD

Or if you're really lazy, they sell some pre-made jumper modules too.  For example for an 8-pin DIN style plug:

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=4548&PLID=358&SecID=135&DeptID=42&PartNo=TIG-SL-MOD8PD

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems