[Xastir] GeoPDF

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:30:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

>> Is there a specific setting in gdal_translate that I need to use in
>> order to convert the GeoPDF's in a way that Xastir will recognize?
>>

> See README.MAPS, under the heading
>   XASTIR can only use GeoTIFF files that are 8-bit per pixel with one band
>
> There is no option to gdalwarp or gdal_translate to create a one-band, 8-bit
> color raster from a 3-band, 24-bit color raster.  You have to do it in
> a separate step.  The instructions for doing that final step are in README.MAPS.

Thanks - I had looked in the HowTo MAPS in the wiki, but I forgot
about the README.MAPS file distributed with the code.

I see you are working on a script - cool.  I was thinking about
writing a script one once I got the steps working, but yours sounds
more advanced that anything I would have done.

Lee