[Xastir] GeoPDF

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 5 13:12:49 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:30:29AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> >> Is there a specific setting in gdal_translate that I need to use in
> >> order to convert the GeoPDF's in a way that Xastir will recognize?
> >>

> > See README.MAPS, under the heading
> > ? XASTIR can only use GeoTIFF files that are 8-bit per pixel with one band
> >
> > There is no option to gdalwarp or gdal_translate to create a one-band, 8-bit
> > color raster from a 3-band, 24-bit color raster. ?You have to do it in
> > a separate step. ?The instructions for doing that final step are in README.MAPS.
>
> Thanks - I had looked in the HowTo MAPS in the wiki, but I forgot
> about the README.MAPS file distributed with the code.
>
> I see you are working on a script - cool.  I was thinking about
> writing a script one once I got the steps working, but yours sounds
> more advanced that anything I would have done.

Almost there.  Unfortunately, I've found that SOME GeoPDFs from USGS have
incorrect neatline specifications.  The one I have that is the fancy
"topo features overlaid on aerial photos" turns out to claim its neatline
is the entire image rather than the actual neatline visible in the map.
It therefore cannot possibly be stripped off by gdalwarp, and a hand-crafted
FGD file will have to be created for those special cases.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey