[Xastir] Device closing on failure

Jarett DeAngelis jdeangelis at alumni.nd.edu
Thu Sep 29 14:23:14 EDT 2011

How long is the total length of cable?  Is the USB extender just an
extension cord or is it a powered USB repeater?
On Sep 29, 2011 2:17 PM, "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Steve Huston wrote:
>
>> all the time anyway) so I use a USB extender to connect the TNC to it
>> from the shack. Now and then, the device sneezes and the TNC will get
>> disconnected as ttyUSB0 and end up as ttyUSB1. This in itself isn't
>
>> However, if I tell Xastir to close the TNC, and unplug it from the
>> computer, the program still holds ttyUSB0 open which prevents the kernel
>> from reconnecting it there. The only way I've found to get Xastir to
>> actually close the device is to close the program, then I can reattach
>> the TNC and it will come back to USB0. I can of course just tell Xastir
>> to look for it on USB1, and that works until I have to restart the
>> program :>
>
> How about telling Xastir to open both ports on startup? It will error-out
on one but successfully open the other, then keep trying every 5 or 10
minutes to open the 2nd one. This shouldn't cause any difficulties, plus
allow you to kill/restart Xastir and which of the two ports it's on, it will
work. Strange work-around I know, but it should work fine.

>> Any thoughts? Some time this weekend I figured I'd look through the
>> code and see if I can find the error code, and in the mean time I've got
>> 'screen' watching for the words "Hard Fail" and emitting a beep if it's
>> seen.
>
> I was using a USB->Serial cable and sometimes had these kinds of issues. I
solved it by putting in more real serial ports and getting rid of the USB
stuff for TNC's. I'm sorry to say that's not a fix that you can implement,
since you're using the USB extender.

> I also had trouble on startup with USB0 <--> USB1 switches, and it was
driving me nuts. Now that I've gone back to real serial ports I no longer
have such issues and my Xastir igate just runs and runs.

> If you or anyone else discover something in the Xastir serial port code
that might help along these lines, I'll be glad to take a look at it.
Particularly if patches are supplied!