[Xastir] Device closing on failure

Steve Huston huston at srhuston.net
Thu Sep 29 14:43:33 EDT 2011

On 9/29/11 2:23 PM, Jarett DeAngelis wrote:
> How long is the total length of cable?  Is the USB extender just an
> extension cord or is it a powered USB repeater?

The one I was using up until yesterday was one I borrowed from work to
see if it would suit my needs, and was flaky anyway (a Gefen USB 2.0
extender with a dodgy power supply that I hacked together a replacement,
but the power would drop out if you crossed your eyes at it).  The one
I'm currently using is an Iogear GUCE51.  Either way, say 5' Ethernet
from each device to the wall/panel, and 15' from the wallbox to the
panel in the basement, 6' USB cable on one end and 8" USB tail on the other.

On 9/29/11 2:16 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> How about telling Xastir to open both ports on startup?

Hm.. that might work.  If it does it again I'll look into doing that;
not sure if it'll hold both ports open though, which would cause a
disconnect/reconnect to bump the TNC over to ttyUSB2.

> I was using a USB->Serial cable and sometimes had these kinds of issues.

I don't remember this happening with the device before, but it's been
some time since I used it before now.  It's a TNC-X, uses the FTDI
chipset internally so there's one less step in the chain (no level
conversion needed).  But last time I used it with any regularity was
over four years ago, hooked directly to a Mac, and I don't remember it
dropping off like that.  I also don't remember what last night's dinner
was, so that's not saying much.

Oh, and just before I hit send I see it dropped off again.  So much for
that... guess I'll play tonight when I get home.

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285